There are several blue screen of death (BSOD) errors you may face anytime. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO is one them. After upgrading to windows 10 or installing windows update on windows 10 / 8.1, You may encounter this problem. Fortunately, It is possible to solve bad system config info BSOD.
This is not a new issue that users are facing. Previous windows versions like windows 7 users also faced same problem. You know that this type of problems can be appeared in any time. It is also known as BugCheck 0x74. This BSOD may appear with the following error codes STOP 0x00000074 (0x00000003, 0x00000002, 0x80087000).
Bad system config info BSOD victims experience following things:
- After login into windows or before that, Users may face blue screen problem with the error message BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO with some codes like STOP 0x00000074. I already mentioned these codes.
- During working on your PC, System may crash with BSOD or a pop up box with this error code. It may occur mostly in old versions like windows 7, Vista or XP.
- Sometimes you may face a message like “A problem has been detacted and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage’.
- Computer may responds slowly and may stuck on any stage.
- Sometimes, Your keyboard & mouse may not respond and it may restart your PC automatically and show you the blue screen with the error name.
Actually, There are various things that can cause this error. Normally, This error is a result of corrupted system hive or system files, registries etc. Some other things like disk partition issue or memory problems also can be responsible for this BSOD.
How to Fix BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO:
Repairing any blue screen of death errors is not an simple task. But, If you can find out or guess the appropriate reasons behind the errors, It will be much more easier to resolve BSODs. Before troubleshooting with actual methods, I recommend you to boot into safe mode and then boot into normal mode. If you are lucky, It may help you. Here are some pretty good methods that can help you to fix bad system config info.
1. Choosing Last Known Good Configuration
If you are running windows 7 or older version of windows, You can try this method by F8 key trick. But if you are running modern versions like windows 10 or 8, You have to do it differently.
Anyway, For windows 7 and older versions –
- Restart your PC. When your PC power up and shows the black screen white text or your computer manufacture logo, Press and hold F8 key from your keyboard. Some peoples prefer pressing F8 key continuously until advanced boot menu appears.
- Now advanced boot menu in black screen will be appeared. There you will see the option “Last known good configuration (Advanced)“.
- Choose it by arrow keys of your keyboard and press Enter.
If you are running windows 10 or 8, You need to get advanced boot menu differently. To do it –
- Open Start Menu.
- Click on Power.
- Now press and hold Shift button of your keyboard and click on Restart.
- Then you will get some options in blue screen. Choose Troubleshoot.
- Now choose Advanced Options.
- Then click on Start Up settings.
- Now click on Restart.
- After restarting windows, You will automatically see the advanced boot menu in black screen. Now do the same things i mentioned above.
2. Startup Repair:
This is one of the few working methods to fix bad system config info error. When windows boot fails several times, It automatically run startup repair which fixes common problems. But, If it doesn’t happen or help, You may have to run startup repair manually. If you can’t access to windows, You will only have one way to do it. It requires a bootable windows media like pendrive. Then, Follow these instructions:
- After inserting windows bootable media, You will need to restart PC. It will prompt you the setup screen. If it doesn’t do it, You may have to press F8 (Your PC may have different button) to choose boot options.
- Anyway, Click on Next. Then, Choose Repair your computer.
- Then, Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair.
- Follow onscreen instructions. It will repair all common startup problems. It also may help to repair bad system config info error.
3. Bootrec Commands:
If startup repair doesn’t help, You can try this method. It may help you to troubleshoot bad system config info error. First of all, You need a bootable windows installation media. Then, Follow everything like method 2. But, Instead of startup repair, You will choose command prompt. I mean, You will have to choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt. Then, Run the following commands.
bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /rebuildbcd
I hope, It will help you.
4. Fixing Corrupted Registries
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO can be caused by corrupted registries. So, You should fix the registry related to 0x074 error. There are many third party registry fixers. But you should use known and trusted programs. You can use CCleaner to fix registries. But never forget to backup before repairing.
But, If you can’t access windows, You will need to do following things to repair windows registries.
- Open command prompt using windows bootable media like method 3.
- Now, Run the following commands and restart your PC.
ren X:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT DEFAULT.old ren X:\Windows\System32\config\SAM SAM.old ren X:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY SECURITY.old ren X:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.old ren X:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM SYSTEM.old copy X:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT X:\Windows\System32\config\ copy X:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM X:\Windows\System32\config\ copy X:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY X:\Windows\System32\config\ copy X:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM X:\Windows\System32\config\ copy X:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE X:\Windows\System32\config\
5. System Restore:
First four methods are enough to fix bad system config info error. But, If these don’t work, You can run system restore. Read: Ways to Do System Restore in Windows
6. Updating Everything
Update all of your drivers of your PC, If you can access windows. Sometimes, Outdated and incompatible drivers cause BSOD errors.
7. Using Windows Memory Diagnostic:
It is very important to check memory problem, If you face BSOD errors. To do it –
- Open Start Menu and type “memory diagnostic”.
- Now select Windows Memory Diagnostic app.
- Now click on “Restart now and check for problems (recommended).
- Your PC will be restarted and check for your memory problems.
- It may require a few minutes. If it detects any error, You should visit your computer manufacture website to find solutions or contact with support team.
Know details from here: diagnosing memory problems
8. Checking & Repairing Hard Disk Corruption
Damaged or Corrupted hard disk problem may create this bad system config info error. So, I would like to recommend you to checking your hard drive problem. To do it –
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator. Just press Windows Flag Key + X from your keyboard and choose Command (Admin). It is for windows 10 or 8. But for 7, Vista or XP right click on command prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
- Now type type chkdsk /f and press Enter.
- You may be ask for restart your PC. Then press Y and press Enter.
- It will fix problems automatically.
10. Repairing Corrupted System Files to Fix BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO
Blue screen errors can be created by corrupted windows system files. So, It is very important to fix all of these. In many cases, Fixing these system files solve BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO. So, You should try it. I have already wrote an article in details about repairing system files. You can read from here : Repair Corrupted System Files Windows – How to Guide
System restore and reinstalling are mentioned in that article. So, in this article i don’t feel necessity to mention them again.
Anyway, These are the basic and best methods to fix this bad system config info error. But you can follow one more extra thing.
As this problem can be caused by RAM or memory modules of your PC, You can follow this method. If you are using desktop, Open your CPU. Now remove the RAM and replace by another one if you have. If there is two RAMs, Any of slots may be responsible for blue screen error. So, I suggest you to find out the slot which has problem by removing one RAM. Don’t place Random Access Memory to problematic slot. Now check your PC. If you experience there is no problem, Then you should be sure there is something wrong with your RAM or slot.
But don’t try the extra method, If you are not experienced. It is for advanced users with technical knowledge. But rest of the methods expect last one should work for you to fix BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO.